How transport companies should prepare for Brexit

How transport companies should prepare for Brexit

How transport companies should prepare for Brexit

The UK is leaving the EU on 29 March 2019 and you should make sure you have a “no deal” Brexit plan for your business.

In the unlikely event that we leave without a deal, it could mean UK lorries are no longer automatically allowed to drive in the EU.

To prepare for this possibility, you can apply for ECMT permits that allow operator licence holders to continue working in the EU post-Brexit. If you want to be sure you can keep operating lorries in Europe after Brexit, you’ll need to apply for one.

You’ll be able to apply online from Monday 26 November 2018. Here’s everything you need to know and what you need to do.

You need to register

Before you do anything, you’ll need to make sure you’re registered on the Vehicle Operator Licensing (VOL) system. If you don’t do this, you won’t be able to apply for a permit.

As professional drivers and hauliers, most of you are probably already registered on VOL, but we still want to make sure you know you need to have registered.

If you haven’t registered, you should do so as soon as possible. It takes 2 weeks to get a VOL account once you’ve registered, so you’re best doing it before permit applications open.

When to apply

We’ll be accepting applications for annual ECMT permits for 2019 from Monday 26 November to Friday 21 December 2018. You will not be able to apply outside of that window, so make sure you do it in time.

The applications page isn’t live yet, so we can’t provide a link to it here. You should register for alerts on GOV.UK or DVSA direct to find out when it’s live and when we’re taking applications.


Upcoming Courses

There are no upcoming events at this time.